Monday, 17 April 2017

Tinkering with... Company B Wirbelwind

 
Sometimes, inbetween commissions, I get distracted! 

I picked up the Company B Wirbelwind turret from Great Escape Games, it is just the turret with flak 38, absent of crew, but usefully both the spare barrel boxes. I decided to marry this with a spare JTFM hull and a Warlord flak 38 crew from the spares box. 

 
The gunner needed some fettling to assume a realistic position, and I decided to recreate the sighting assembly, and add some detail to the flak. Not too much, as most wont be seen once mounted in the turret.
 
 
The complete crew, all fettled!
The Warlord crew has an annoying figure with arm raised or pointing, so this was cut and repositioned.  When configuring with the turret, I found the crew sat better if I removed their feet.
 

Early shot of the turret with flak and crew, all dry fitted as they will be painted separately.

 

 
Yes, I will drill out and straighten the barrels.
 

This is the Company B turret married to the JTFM Hull. Unfortunately the turret needed a lot of filing give the surfaces an acceptable finish. On looking through references,  I decided to add the field mod camouflage hooks and wire, used in Normandy for attaching foliage.


The hull has some mods, the extra barrel cases have been added, with associated brackets, also added were the late war mod of two towing hooks, form the spares box. the JTFM tracks are nicely rendered so I decided to lose the front fenders.
 

The turret sits quite nicely in the hull, although I did add some supports to lift the turret slightly so that the turret could traverse clearing the turret fairings.
 
 
Interestingly, and just like buses, I get one and two more come along, one in the wings from Warlord and, together with an Ostwind, one from Trenchworx in the USA. Am tempted by all, and ironically also the 12SS Normandy field conversion, with the 38 mounted directly on the hull, just not sure I'll be able to shift all of them..... decisions decisions.
 
This one just crept in the schedule, its an "opportunity" paint so will need a new home once complete, its slipping in with an interesting 1946 commission, more of that later.
 
As always, lost going on behind the scenes, most not reflected here. I have, and if I say so myself,  a lovely Fall Blau, France 1940 commission; just being photographed. Extensive mods for this set and I'm really happy with the results, although they've taken ages.
 
I also have a spare Warlord Puma, which i'll need to shift in short order.
 
Anyways, enough for now, theres a subscribe link on the right hand side for regular updates.
 



Friday, 13 January 2017

Tinkering with ..... Battlefront Iranian Chieftains



 

Yet more Chieftains! Iranian reinforcements!

Following up on the ArmiesArmy Chieftains, I now have a load of BF plastic Chieftains and am most impressed, generally....




 


So, 

The pros.... 
  • plastic format allows loads of conversion potential, 
  • excellent detail, 
  • nice crew set, 
  • separate track guards.  
The cons...

  •  ( just my opinion) the turret front angles need sanding over as they have too prominent an angle, 
  • the smoke dischargers are awful. 
  • Only one hatch open
 

The plastic format allows me to depict some very tired and abused vehicles as seen in reference photos of the Iran Iraq war. The mods so far...

  • Removed all smoke dischargers ( am making new ones)
  • Filed the turret fronts to remove the pronounced angle 
  • Opened up some additional hatches
  • Added crew, so far just from bits box, but more to come
  • Added numerous tarpaulins and crew stowage 
  • Added an initial layer of sandbag armour, more to come on this front, stalled until the dischargers are complete
  • Distressed and removed track guards 
 
So very much a work in progress and a "flavour" of things to come at this stage

 

As always, subscribe to the left ------>>> for unobtrusive email updates. 

Saturday, 7 January 2017

Tinkering with..... S&S Models 15mm Ural Radio Trucks


 

Slowly getting back into the detailing after the Xmas break, tinkering with the new 15mm S&S Models Ural truck Radio / Office body for the zvedza Ural truck.

 

Speaking with Shaun the body has been designed to be deliberately generic, there are multitudes of real world options it would keep him busy for at least a year.

Strictly zvedza truck is slightly late for the October War project, so am battling with my inner rivet counter  whether to use it or not ( will try the body on a QRF Zil at some point ...) , however it will fit in nicely for my Iran Iraq project. 

I've decided to build one "as it comes" from S&S !(the one with the lime green cast) and the other two I have modified the rear doors to depict versions with a rear wheel stowage.

I anticipate modelling a large radar array on one, and I expect a radio mast on the other. 
 
As you can see I've opened up the cabs on the zvedza trucks, moderate work and I may well regret this later when I have to glaze them! 

 

Anyway just a sort intro into the build..... 



Current FOR SALE items

1/56 "Fury" M4 E8
1/56 RSO Steyr
1/56 Weasel
1/56 KV 1

all pictures are in my flickr contact me for details.